Those of you coming tonight will be eating my lentil chilli (a recipe I made up) if no one asks for the recipe I'll sulk and delete this post after you have gone. Might keep the photo I did, I quite like how my Kilner jars came out!
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 small clove garlic
- 160g red lentils
- 100g brown lentils
- 1.5 litres veg stock
- 2 cartons chopped premium tomatoes, Sainsbury's-currently on BOGOF
- a big squeeze tomato puree
- dried chillis crushed to taste (and handful of whole ones for a 'surprise')
- 1 tin value/economy kidney beans
- chestnut mushrooms, chopped, 1 punnet of 250g
- 1 large red pepper, chopped small
- 1 large green pepper, chopped small
- optional - 1 yellow scotch bonnet chilli, placed in the pan, whole, then removed
- optional - glug of red wine
Slowly soften the onion in an oil of your choosing, throw in garlic and cook for a few more mins. Add lentils and pour on the stock, stir in chilli and tom puree. Bring to a simmer for 15 mins, stirring when you remember or pop back into the kitchen from whatever else tends to distract you (lentils love to stick if ignored). Chuck in the tomatoes and re-bring to a simmer for 10 mins. Add mush and kidney beans **and simmer for another 10 mins, or till they look cooked. I normally turn it off now. Then when I start the rice I put in the peppers prior to re-heating the Chilli, so they are still a bit on the crunchy side.
**if using red wine and scotch bonnets dont forget to add them at this point.
Serve with brown rice and natural yogurt to people you like.